[svlug] question re: label ext3 external drive using tune2fs

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 08:13:48 PST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 9:24 AM, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Thank you for answering my questions!

You're welcome.  Hope it was helpful.

> I have already labeled the 400G drive. I'm considering labeling
> the 160G drive too.
>
> Why do you prefer e2label over tune2fs to label a disk drive?

Just personal preference.  They both do the same thing with different
syntax.  For example,

# setting the label
$ sudo e2label /dev/sdc2 MyLabel
$ sudo tune2fs -L MyLabel /dev/sdc2

# querying the label
$ sudo e2label /dev/sdc2
$ sudo tune2fs -l  /dev/sdc2 | awk -F': *' '/volume/ {print $2}'

Using labels vs UUIDs is also personal preference.  See Rick's
comments for when UUID might be more suitable.  As far as I know there
is no e2label equivalent for UUID, e.g. e2uuid.

Regards,
- Robert