[svlug] swap space size

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Thu Jan 3 07:17:57 PST 2008

Jeff Shippen wrote:
> Original Poster: what is your conclusion? have we answered your question?
> What did you decide to do?
>
> On Jan 2, 2008 6:01 PM, bruce coston <jane_ikari at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Nice article on swap, seems to support my "# of g of ram +999 megabytes"
>> rule. Giving more swap when you have little ram and relatively less for more
>> ram. Eventually you wind up with less swap following this rule when ram gets
>> huge. The big choice is whether you should use current ram or max ram of
>> motherboard as your guide. I'm sticking with 3g despite the fact that my
>> 6100sm-m should handle 2 sticks of 8g when 8g sticks come out.
>>
>> **
>>
>> ...Christian Einfeldt,
>> Producer, The Digital Tipping Point From: Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [svlug] recommended percentage swap on 400G drive
>> Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 22:25:11 -0800
>> To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
>>
>> begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 09:16:21PM -0800:
>>
>>> As if all this detail wasn't enough to contend with, it turns out that
>>> Linux swap _files_ (as opposed to partitions) are a contender again.
>>> They were common in very early Linux days, but fell out of favour when
>>> it emerged that swap partitions yielded much better performance.
>>> However, it turns out that, with the 2.6.x kernel series, swap files
>>> once again have competitive performance, and might be worth using. See:
>>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/5/29/3
>> FHS doesn't seem to list a recommended location for
>> swap files. Somewhere in /var?
>>
>> Good explanation of swap from Martin Pool here:
>> http://sourcefrog.net/weblog/software/linux-kernel/swap.html
>>
>> --
>> Don Marti
>> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/ <http://zgp.org/%7Edmarti/>
>> dmarti at zgp.org
>>

>> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
>> Subject: Re: [svlug] recommended percentage swap on 400G drive
>> Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 02:47:42 -0800
>> To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
>>
>> Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):
>>
>>> FHS doesn't seem to list a recommended location for
>>> swap files. Somewhere in /var?
>> I think you could make a plausible argument for /var/lib/misc or
>> /var/run . (The latter is mostly PID files, but the description of
>> "system information data describing the system since it was booted" that
>> "must be cleared (removed or truncated as appropriate) at the beginning
>> of the boot process" matches what swapfiles are.)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was
>> Rick Moen the cats who insisted we invent houses and discover fire.
>> rick at linuxmafia.com -- Khiem Tran
>>

>> From: Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us>
>> Subject: Re: [svlug] recommended percentage swap on 400G drive
>> Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:06:05 -0800
>> To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
>>
>> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 02:47:42 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
>>
>>> Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> [...]

First of all *thank you* to everyone who responded to my
question!

After reading all the responses and the articles referenced I'm
confused as to what is the best/most appropriate approach.

I decided to *not* allot swap to the 400G external disk drive
that I will *only* be using for data.

I'm also considering using rsync to back up the 160G external
drive I put all the data I used to have on my internal 30G
drive. Then formatting the 160G drive and *not* putting swap
on it.

Darlene Wallach