[svlug] SVLUG General Meeting, Jan 2, 2008: open-vm-tools

Aniruddha Mulay ani_mulay at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 15:50:50 PST 2008

Join the Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) tonight to learn about
open-vm-tools.

WHEN:

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008
7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:
TOPIC:

The Open Virtual Machine Tools project

PRESENTED BY:

Adar Dembo and Elliot Lee
VMware Inc.

TOPIC SUMMARY:

Do you run Linux in a virtualized environment? Do you experience
performance and usability issues when doing so? If you answered yes,
then the Open Virtual Machine Tools <http://open-vm-tools.sf.net>
project can help.

The project is a collection of several kernel and user space components
that dramatically improve the overall user experience for Linux and
Unix guests.

We will describe how these components work together to provide several
interesting features like drag-n-drop, clipboard sharing, improved
network and graphics performance etc. Through this talk, we hope to
connect with several users (both new and existing) as well as unearth
new ideas and contributors to the project.

ABOUT THE SPEAKERS:

Adar Dembo is a Senior Member of Technical Staff at VMware Inc. and
the lead developer on the open-vm-tools project. He has enjoyed his
brief forays into the Linux kernel and would like to become more
active in the kernel community.

Elliot Lee has worked with open source since before it was open source,
and helped start the GNOME and Fedora projects. He currently works as
a software engineer at VMware, where he's helping ramp up the
open-vm-tools project and develop cool new virtualization technologies.

LOCATION:

Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
VCAFE Facility
350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
Mountain View, CA 94043

http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

We look forward to seeing you there!