[svlug] Linux speech -> text

Ajit Natarajan ajitk at email.com
Mon Apr 28 02:18:17 PDT 2008

pouria wrote:
> Hi Ajit
>
> You might want to check out the Sphinx project. I have tried it myself
> and it is amazing, It also has real-time mode if you are interested.
> There also is a very good documentation on the web site that tells you
> how to install it, train it and use it
>
> http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/html/cmusphinx.php
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Pouria

Pouria,

Thanks for the link.  I downloaded Sphinx 3 and went through the
tutorial at <http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/tutorial.html>.  I know
nothing about speech recognition, so I blindly followed the tutorial
steps.  I got a 58% sentence error rate.

I ran sphinx3-simple.  It was able to recognize some of what I said, but
mostly got it wrong.

I am completely lost.  What should I do next?  What should I run to
convert what I say to text that I can feed to vi?  I am drowning in all
the jargon in the web site.

Thanks.

Ajit