[svlug] k3b, to erase or not to erase

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 14:57:43 PDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Skip Evans <skip at bigskypenguin.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>  I have two servers here that every morning at 3am
>  tar up and gzip all the sensitive stuff: client

Well, how large is the data set? If it's small, I'd hazard a guess
that somehow you've set up multisession on that cdrw and K3B is simply
starting to write from where it left off, but I could be wrong.

Prior to writing said CD, have you examined it to see what data (if
any) is present on the disk? Seems to me that would be the first place
to look to see if your data is getting written and you've got a good
backup.

CD-RW longevity depends on a lot of factors. I have a few old reliable
four-speed cdrw's (Fuji) that just seem to keep on kicking after
having been written to a number of times. I have garden-variety
DVD-RW's that I refer to as write once, read never or maybe' as the
seem that they can never checksum correctly. For instance, when I was
doing a video project a year or so ago,  I just decided that I'd
rather make sure my avi's were burned to good media rather than try
those questionable DVD-RWs even though that meant that I'd not be able
to reuse them for something else.

Is there an upper limit on the number of writes CD-RW media are good
for? That I don't know.