[svlug] Monitor calibration, photo processing - orthogonal approach from the old days

Paul Cubbage oldestgeek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 15:35:50 PDT 2008

I made CibaChrome prints from slides at home in the 70's.  The problem was
to calibrate the exposure and filters so that the print looked like the
slide (sound familiar?).  The rule of thumb solution was to put a Kodak 18%
grey card in an initial exposure(s) for a shoot assuming the following
exposures had the same lighting.  See more detailed instructions at
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/zip/633881494.html

Test prints are made and the grey area is compared to an 18% grey card.
Once they match, the colors are (generally) correct!  Your  mileage may vary
if the reflectivity of your subject, say snow in sunlight, is very different
from 18% grey.

I know that it seems counter-intuitive that grey is used to calibrate color
but it works.