[svlug] Monitor calibration, photo processing

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Mon Apr 7 13:50:03 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 12:33:05PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
# Larry Colen wrote:
# > I finally got a few minutes to try to calibrate the gamma on my
# > monitors. I found a program called Monica that seems to do what I
# > need, via some links John Conover sent (thanks John).
# >
# > The page for monica is at:
# > http://www.pcbypaul.com/software/monica.html
#
# Assuming I use it to calibrate the monitor, how would the results
# compare with what I obtain by using the gamma correction wizard provided
# with the NVidia drivers on Windows? (Display Optimization Wizard /
# Optimize Gamma / drag the RGB sliders)
# It seems like Monica and the NVidia wizard work almost exactly the same.

I haven't tried booting into Windows to use the NVidia wizard, but I
expect that it'll get you some gamma value (like .61) that you would
feed to xgamma in some sort of startup script.

On my Fedora box, there isn't a .xinitrc to put the call
xgamma .61
in.

--
When you notice an 800 pound gorilla in the room, you don't kick him
in the nuts to open the conversation.  --Travus T. Hipp  3 April 2008