[svlug] Usenet Reader

Joel Seidman joel_seidman at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 15:38:53 PDT 2008

--- Deepan Chakravarthy <codeshepherd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Joel Seidman wrote:
> > --- David Fox <dfox94085 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I like pan (http://pan.rebelbase.com). It's GTK, reasonably fast,
> >> although there are faster programs, and has good binary / attachment
> >> support. It should be in your distro's repositories.
> >>
> >> I use the development release, although there hasn't been any
> >> development since last August (0.132).
> >>
> >> Others include slrn (very very fast, console based), tin, trn, and so
> forth.

> >> Your ISP might provide a Usenet service. Many do, but the quality
> >> varies. I recommend giganews (www.giganews.com) - it is not free, but
> >> is well worth the price if you do a lot of heavy downloading (which I
> >> do, albeit in spurts). It has probably the best article retention
> >> available anywhere.
> >>

> > Another vote for pan (I'm only on 0.129).
> >
> > By usenet server, did you mean an application you can run on your computer,
> or
> > a server on the Internet? If the latter, I've satisfactorily used
> > "freenews.netfront.net", although not too recently. I think if you google
> > something like "free usenet" you will come up with some.
> >
> > -- Joel
> >
> my-tree.cc: In member function 'virtual void
> pan::DataImpl::MyTree::set_filter(pan::Data::ShowType, const
> pan::FilterInfo*)':
> my-tree.cc:99: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
> my-tree.cc: In member function 'void
> pan::DataImpl::MyTree::add_articles(const std::vector<const
> pan::DataImpl::ArticleNode*, std::allocator<const
> pan::DataImpl::ArticleNode*> >&)':
> my-tree.cc:404: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
> my-tree.cc:417: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
> my-tree.cc:481: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
> my-tree.cc:494: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
> make[3]: *** [my-tree.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> I get the following error while installing pan2 ...

(I guess you mean the above messages.) Looks like a compilation error. I
installed mine from a binary repository for Ubuntu. My past experience building
from source is it can be more problematic than a binary install. You have to be
sure you have all the prerequisite packages, which could be your problem, but I
don't know. Prerequisites would be described in the build instructions. Others
will have to help you. You might want to post what distro you are using.

Good luck.

-- Joel