[svlug] Usenet Reader

Deepan Chakravarthy codeshepherd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 15:21:20 PDT 2008

Joel Seidman wrote:
> --- David Fox <dfox94085 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Deepan <codeshepherd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>  Can someone suggest me application to browse and
>>>  send messages to Usenet? Also it would be great if
>>>
>> I like pan (http://pan.rebelbase.com). It's GTK, reasonably fast,
>> although there are faster programs, and has good binary / attachment
>> support. It should be in your distro's repositories.
>>
>> I use the development release, although there hasn't been any
>> development since last August (0.132).
>>
>> Others include slrn (very very fast, console based), tin, trn, and so forth.
>>

>>>  you can recommond some free quality usenet
>>>  servers. It will be great if I can install them
>>>
>> Your ISP might provide a Usenet service. Many do, but the quality
>> varies. I recommend giganews (www.giganews.com) - it is not free, but
>> is well worth the price if you do a lot of heavy downloading (which I
>> do, albeit in spurts). It has probably the best article retention
>> available anywhere.
>>

> Another vote for pan (I'm only on 0.129).
>
> By usenet server, did you mean an application you can run on your computer, or
> a server on the Internet? If the latter, I've satisfactorily used
> "freenews.netfront.net", although not too recently. I think if you google
> something like "free usenet" you will come up with some.
>
> -- Joel

> You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

my-tree.cc: In member function 'virtual void
pan::DataImpl::MyTree::set_filter(pan::Data::ShowType, const
pan::FilterInfo*)':
my-tree.cc:99: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
my-tree.cc: In member function 'void
pan::DataImpl::MyTree::add_articles(const std::vector<const
pan::DataImpl::ArticleNode*, std::allocator<const
pan::DataImpl::ArticleNode*> >&)':
my-tree.cc:404: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
my-tree.cc:417: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
my-tree.cc:481: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
my-tree.cc:494: error: 'g_assert' was not declared in this scope
make[3]: *** [my-tree.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I get the following error while installing pan2 ...

--
Deepan
Sudoku Solver http://www.sudoku-solver.net/