[svlug] Usenet Reader

Joel Seidman joel_seidman at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 14:34:31 PDT 2008

--- David Fox <dfox94085 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Deepan <codeshepherd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >  Can someone suggest me application to browse and
> >  send messages to Usenet? Also it would be great if
>
> I like pan (http://pan.rebelbase.com). It's GTK, reasonably fast,
> although there are faster programs, and has good binary / attachment
> support. It should be in your distro's repositories.
>
> I use the development release, although there hasn't been any
> development since last August (0.132).
>
> Others include slrn (very very fast, console based), tin, trn, and so forth.
>

> >  you can recommond some free quality usenet
> >  servers. It will be great if I can install them
>
> Your ISP might provide a Usenet service. Many do, but the quality
> varies. I recommend giganews (www.giganews.com) - it is not free, but
> is well worth the price if you do a lot of heavy downloading (which I
> do, albeit in spurts). It has probably the best article retention
> available anywhere.

Another vote for pan (I'm only on 0.129).

By usenet server, did you mean an application you can run on your computer, or
a server on the Internet? If the latter, I've satisfactorily used
"freenews.netfront.net", although not too recently. I think if you google
something like "free usenet" you will come up with some.

-- Joel