[svlug] Usenet Reader

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 14:02:10 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Deepan <codeshepherd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>  Can someone suggest me application to browse and
>  send messages to Usenet? Also it would be great if

I like pan (http://pan.rebelbase.com). It's GTK, reasonably fast,
although there are faster programs, and has good binary / attachment
support. It should be in your distro's repositories.

I use the development release, although there hasn't been any
development since last August (0.132).

Others include slrn (very very fast, console based), tin, trn, and so forth.

>  you can recommond some free quality usenet
>  servers. It will be great if I can install them

Your ISP might provide a Usenet service. Many do, but the quality
varies. I recommend giganews (www.giganews.com) - it is not free, but
is well worth the price if you do a lot of heavy downloading (which I
do, albeit in spurts). It has probably the best article retention
available anywhere.