[svlug] Small Cisco Linux Box

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Apr 3 05:40:47 PST 2008

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:51:44 -0800, Marco Walther wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 April 2008 16:36, Eisenberg, J. David wrote:
>> There's a group in southern california that specializes in very small linux
>> boxes; at SCALE they had one from Cisco (I think) that costs a fairly small
>> amount, and is very compact. Does anyone have any info about that, or the
>> group's web site?
>
> Do you mean the Cisco/Linksys WRT54GL ?
>
> http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1133202177241&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7724139789B06
>
> It can be flashed with different Linux based systems;-)
>
> http://openwrt.org/ for one and there are others;-)
>
> I'm running Ubuntu on an appleTV, it fits the `small' (form factor) but it's
> not as cheap;-) But that's already almost a PC;-)

The SCALE booth Marco is thinking of were these guys:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

I did not see Marco at SCALE, so I'm guessing he was not aware of the
multitude of hardware vendors exhibiting things which may or may not fit
the description you provided, minus the Cisco label. I don't recall
anything specifically labeled "Cisco" there fitting that description as
opposed to "Linksys," but the above-mentioned booth, in addition to the
NetBSD booth (which was displaying a Soekris board, which fits your
description better), were the most obvious examples. There was also the
following booth, which displayed no such thing, but announced that
something similar (in form factor) may be forthcoming:

http://www.zareason.com/

Your initial post was not clear on your intended use of such a system, so
we're all just guessing how best to answer your question, BTW.