[svlug] Fedora started locking my screen

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 22:06:22 PDT 2007

hi

On 9/29/07, Larry Colen <lrc at red4est.com> wrote:

> I had tried installing fedora 7, but for some reason, it wouldn't
> install on my system.  I don't remember the details, but I gave up. I
> may (re)install (K)Ubuntu. I'm tilting at other windmills right now.

If you are willing to try other distros, I would strongly suggest that you
consider PClinuxOS (pclos for short).  It has been number one on distrowatch
for about 6 months or so, and with good reason.  It just works out of the
box.  More  so than any other distro that I have tried.  Texstar, the guy
who put it together, and his team did an awesome job of making it plug and
play.  I have put about 15 pclos boxes into various classrooms at the public
middle school that I have been writing about on this list, and so far
everyone seems to be quite happy with it.  The only other distro that I am
using for classrooms is older versions of Mepis, and those seem to be
satisfying the teacher who uses it, too.

The teachers seem to be mostly using these FOSS boxes for web browsing for
classroom research.  The teacher with the Mepis boxes seems to be using them
for student poetry, too.  There is a social studies teacher who is using his
pclos boxes for students' binder covers (they create OOo text docs with
pics).

We do have edubuntu in our thin client lab, and lately a music teacher has
been using GNU Denemo to teach students music theory.  This is a little old
58 year-old African American lady who is really excited about the Ubuntu
philosophy, and the fact that Ubuntu is a Bantu word.  I even taught her how
to use

$ sudo killall denemo

to kill Denemo when it choked temporarily due to massive simultaneous
student input of music compositions. I thought that was quite a riot.  Here
are people claiming that Linux is too hard to use, and yet here is this
little old 58 year-old African American woman killing an app from a shell
terminal, with only minimal instruction.  Of course, I was standing by, and
had given her a bit of training, but she just went ahead and did it.

Also, she actively read the GNU Denemo user guide and *she* was actually
teacher *me* how to use many of Denemo's GUI functions!!!

Okay, I sort of digressed there.

Back to screen savers.

PClos also has a really great IRC channel on freenode:

#pclinuxos-support

I am pretty sure that if you get pclos, you will soon have a solution to
your problem.