[svlug] Fedora started locking my screen

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sat Sep 29 21:37:43 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 08:31:31PM -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
# hi
#
# On 9/29/07, Larry Colen <lrc at red4est.com> wrote:
# >
# > Someone, and I've lost the email asked
#
#
# That was me.

Ah thank you.

# Larry, have you tried just engaging the screensaver, and ratcheting the time
# frame up as high as it will go?

What I really want is something that will turn off the screens after a
certain period of time (I've got dual LCDs running off of nvidia
cards).

It occurs to me that there might be some "power saving fu" that is
happening, which is set up someplace other than the screen saver.
But, a quick look around control center doesn't bring it up.

# the screen saver and then shutting it off, but I am wondering if the screen
# saver that you chose was a blank screen, as suggested by the image in the
# .png file that you linked.

That is what I had.

# BTW, my problems with the screensaver were associated with an earlier
# version of SUSE.  So if that is any comfort to you, your problem apparently
# is something that might be KDE-related, and not Fedora-related.

Yeah, there are a fair number of KDE related issues. Sometimes I
really miss fvwm. :)

# Having said that, though, have you thought of moving to Fedora 7?  What
# version of KDE is Fedora using?  I'm pretty sure that Fedora 7 comes with
# KDE 4.

I had tried installing fedora 7, but for some reason, it wouldn't
install on my system.  I don't remember the details, but I gave up. I
may (re)install (K)Ubuntu. I'm tilting at other windmills right now.

The top one, at the moment, is getting the system to do a good job of
ripping a CD into flac when I stick it in the drive. In theory, it'll
do that, but it's not quite working, and you have to click on several
things, rather than popping in the cd and it automagically
happening. But that is an entirely different issue.

Before that I've got a preamp and a receiver that I need to try to
fix.

--
       Too much of a good thing, is better than too much of a bad thing.