[svlug] Fw: Ubuntu 7.10 Beta released

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 16:12:44 PDT 2007

On 9/29/07, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
> Kristian Erik Hermansen writes:
> > I have been running Gutsy for about 4-5 months now.  One thing you
> > will notice that is a new feature in Gutsy, and not mentioned in this
> > thread, is that when you type an incorrect command in the shell, you
> > will be told the proper package to install.  Good for n00bs *AND*
> > seasoned professionals :-)
>
> Cool feature, but I see it in Feisty, so it's not new for Gutsy.
>
> It's neat the way it's implemented: all they have to do in bash
> (it's shell-specific -- doesn't work on tcsh) is define a function
> called command_not_found_handle.  So (at least in feisty) they
> define that function to call /usr/bin/command-not-found, which calls
> a python module they've written to look up the desired command in a
> database.  command_not_found_handle() is a useful little bash trick
> I hadn't seen before.

I feel so weird... I'm a fish shell user.  I didn't know that feature
existed (proof that feature doesn't work in fish).  Fish is a simple
wrapper on top of bash though (AFAIK, I don't know that for sure) so
I'd think that I'd see that feature...  perhaps not.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
If You Know What's Good For You, You'll Install Linux