[svlug] Playing the iTunes Library on Linux?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 26 21:06:09 PDT 2007

Quoting Larry Colen (lrc at red4est.com):

> I ended up selling my 12" powerbook to my girlfriend. I scp'd my
> iTunes library off of the powerbook onto my Linux desktop machine. I'm
> sure that there are linux music players that I can just point to all
> of the mp3 files (any particular reccomendations?), but what I'd
> really like is one that will handle the iTunes library format, so that
> I can take advantage of all of the playlists that have been set up.
>
> Does such a program exist?

Larry --

I have no idea what the internal format of the proprietary iTunes
program's library is -- but there's a chance that it uses the same
structure as is used on the filesystems of iPods, themselves.  _If_
that's the case, then maybe "gtkpod" can be coaxed into looking there
rather than onto a USB-attached iPod, which is its actual intended
usage.  Just a possibility.