[svlug] OLPC XO ("$100 laptop") available to public

PC oldestgeek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 14:30:05 PDT 2007

Great slides Sameer!  Simple, clear, pleasant appearance, and all the
relevant information (without needless techbuzz/crap).  A lot like the OLPC
itself.

Now to see if they can produce the numbers needed, get them funded, and out
there.  Large tasks but the first one, design for manufacture and the
target, were very large and OLPC got it done.  I was skeptical as an
academic was driving it but Negroponte has made a lot of things happen
outside academe.

On 9/24/07, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> > On Monday 24 September 2007, de Runtz, Lars wrote:
> >

> >> Someone has to say it.  Apple inspired "early adopter" price?  I
> >>

> > Or they're just not selling well, and this is a ploy to get enough of
> > them deployed in the target market :p
> >
> > Has anyone ever seen/used one?
> We have a B4 (developer machine) version of the XO, which I believe is
> pretty close to the final version.
> > If so, what was your impression?
> Its definitely not your average laptop. Battery life is terrific. So is
> the display. Wi-fi range is much better than my Vaio. The XO has no
> moving parts. The form factor is a bit small for me (keys are a bit
> small) but then again, my daughter loves it...she's almost two. The only
> thing I would sorely miss if I were to use it as my regular work machine
> is a VGA display arrangement for a projector.
> > Would
> > you give one to your young kids?
> >

> Absolutely. If I had to pick one reason, it would be that there is no
> "Start" button (or a foot or 'K'). I really like the idea that its
> unlike what most of us are used to. I recently did a presentation to an
> internal group on the project. The info is a collection from the
> OLPCWiki...http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/392
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
>
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Information Systems
> San Francisco State University
> San Francisco CA 94132 USA
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/