[svlug] USB flashdrive tutorial

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Tue Sep 25 00:51:27 PDT 2007

Larry Colen writes:
> I appreciate all the help I've been getting on "what to do" to get the
> USB flashdrive working. I've learned about the existence of all sorts
> of interesting and arcane commands like:
>
> mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
> echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
> mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
>
> But I'm still not getting it to recognize /dev/sd* as a block
> device. All of the documentation I've found has been on the level of
> the steps that the user takes to get the usb mounted. I think that
> what I need is a good tutorial on what is happening on the computer
> through the process of the usb system finding the usb device (which
> seems to be working) and it seeing it as a SCSI drive, which then gets
> mounted. Even if all I learn is where to sprinkle the printks so that
> I can see where things stop happening.

Hi Larry.

I assume you are running a 2.4 kernel, (Re: /proc/...,) and it should
be mounted auto'magically, without doing anything.

Look at /etc/fstab after you plug the device in. Also, do dmesg to
find out what it detected.

If it is a 2.4 kernel, then it should be mounted under /mnt/auto, (as
per dmesg or pondering /etc/fstab,) and you won't see it with "ls
/mnt/auto" but "ls /mnt/auto/sda1" or whatever it says, might show
something.

           John

BTW, MG's OK?

--