[svlug] USB flashdrive tutorial

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Tue Sep 25 00:33:02 PDT 2007

I appreciate all the help I've been getting on "what to do" to get the
USB flashdrive working. I've learned about the existence of all sorts
of interesting and arcane commands like:

mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

But I'm still not getting it to recognize /dev/sd* as a block
device. All of the documentation I've found has been on the level of
the steps that the user takes to get the usb mounted. I think that
what I need is a good tutorial on what is happening on the computer
through the process of the usb system finding the usb device (which
seems to be working) and it seeing it as a SCSI drive, which then gets
mounted. Even if all I learn is where to sprinkle the printks so that
I can see where things stop happening.

--
                Boole is well known. True or False?