[svlug] OLPC XO ("$100 laptop") available to public

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Sep 24 23:43:46 PDT 2007

Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Monday 24 September 2007, de Runtz, Lars wrote:
>

>> Someone has to say it.  Apple inspired "early adopter" price?  I
>>

> Or they're just not selling well, and this is a ploy to get enough of
> them deployed in the target market :p
>
> Has anyone ever seen/used one?
We have a B4 (developer machine) version of the XO, which I believe is
pretty close to the final version.
> If so, what was your impression?
Its definitely not your average laptop. Battery life is terrific. So is
the display. Wi-fi range is much better than my Vaio. The XO has no
moving parts. The form factor is a bit small for me (keys are a bit
small) but then again, my daughter loves it...she's almost two. The only
thing I would sorely miss if I were to use it as my regular work machine
is a VGA display arrangement for a projector.
> Would
> you give one to your young kids?

Absolutely. If I had to pick one reason, it would be that there is no
"Start" button (or a foot or 'K'). I really like the idea that its
unlike what most of us are used to. I recently did a presentation to an
internal group on the project. The info is a collection from the
OLPCWiki...http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/392

cheers,
Sameer

--