[svlug] USB flashdrive problems

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Thu Sep 20 16:31:02 PDT 2007

We have what is effectively an embedded system. We are doing a
monolithic (no modules) 2.6.9 kernel. If need be, we could go to
modules, but for the time being we're stuck with 2.6.9. We need to
mount a USB flash drive as storage.

And, no, we can't go to	a post 2.6.15 kernel for a while.

Pretty much all of the documentation I find seems to be for mounting
USB on desktop systems under standard distributions.

If I boot the system from a live CD, it finds, mounts and reads the
flash drive just fine as sda1, vfat filesystem.

We don't need it to be hot pluggable, it can be there from boot. We
don't need plug and play.

No matter what I do, when I mount it, I get the error message:
bash-3.00# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

I've enabled SCSI, USB, UHCI, EHCI ...

Here is what I think is the relevent snippet from dmesg.

usb 6-1: new device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=3
usb 6-1: default language 0x0409
usb 6-1: SerialNumber: 20060221165700-00
usb 6-1: adding 6-1:1.0 (config #1, interface 0)
usb-storage 6-1:1.0: usb_probe_interface
usb-storage 6-1:1.0: usb_probe_interface - got id
usb-storage: USB Mass Storage device detected
usb-storage: -- associate_dev
usb-storage: Vendor: 0x0ef5, Product: 0x2202, Revision: 0x0100
usb-storage: Interface Subclass: 0x06, Protocol: 0x50
usb-storage: Vendor: Unknown,  Product: Unknown
usb-storage: Transport: Bulk
usb-storage: Protocol: Transparent SCSI
usb-storage: usb_stor_control_msg: rq=fe rqtype=a1 value=0000 index=00 len=1
usb-storage: GetMaxLUN command result is 1, data is 0
usb-storage: *** thread sleeping.
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: suspend_hc

Output of some other exploratory comands:

bash-3.00# cat /proc/filesystems
nodev   sysfs
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev