[svlug] with heavy heart, and a sigh - take II [in defence of Rick, non-Linux]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 18 22:57:08 PDT 2007

Quoting Sanatan Rai (sanatan at gmail.com):

Hi, thanks for your comments.

> I remember the last time Rick stopped posting to the list after a
> fight that began with his chiding some newbie question.

Mild demur:  No fight, and certainly no newbie question.

Then-president Marc Merlin announced in August 2001 (_not_ in response
to me) a new set of rules, of his devising, for this mailing list --
rules nowhere documented except in two of his postings:

1.  Henceforth, subscribers would become subject to summary banning for
posting "snide remarks" or responding to posters for (and I quote
verbatim) "any purpose other than to help them".

2.  Subscribers were henceforth also subject to summary banning without
any warning or notice for critiquing others' posts in any way,
even if that criticism was completely devoid of any sort of comment on
the poster himself/herself.

Viewing these conditions as not reasonable, I immediately, without
further comment, said a brief goodbye, unsubscribed, and for several
years referred Linux users elsewhere for any serious technical discussion.

A couple of years later, I noticed that Marc had left office, and so
asked his successor Don Marti if his predecessor's rules were still in
effect, especially given that they'd never been added to anywhere on
SVLUG's Web pages, including the predecessor to the current
http://www.svlug.org/policies/list-policy.php page.  He said "Yes."

Accordingly, I almost entirely continued to eschew this mailing list
until Don, likewise, left office.

> I am glad Rick Moen posts to SVLUG. His posts are always worth
> reading.

Thank you.  I appreciate your comments.

> 111 Carraway Apartments,
> 2 Cayenne Court,
> London SE1 2PP

Southwark, I do think!  You're making me homesick, sir.  (I used to
live in a flat on Trinity Church Square.)