[svlug] Install Intel pro 3945 Wireless card on Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop; running SUSE10.0

Benjamin Floering floering at ieee.org
Mon Sep 17 16:00:01 PDT 2007

Hey,

I have the 3945 working on my Lenovo T60p.  It turns out that there are two
separate projects supporting this hardware: the older
ipw3945<http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/>driver and the newer
iwlwifi <http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi>.  It looks like you have
a rather old 2.6.13 kernel, which is definitely not going to be compatible
with the iwlwifi driver.  Take a look at the gentoo hardware compatibility
matrix for this <http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_ipw3945>.  You need to
upgrade to at least a 2.6.18 to be able to use the iwlwifi according to this
data (and even then there is a kernel patch, only the 2.6.22 and above
doesn't require a patch.)  The reason for this is that the Intel guys have
totally re-written the wireless stack in the kernel and called it
mac80211<http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=mac80211>.
Your kernel has the old ieee80211 subsystem and is therefore incompatible
with the iwlwifi driver.

BTW, I used to be running with the ipw3945 until a few weeks ago and finally
upgraded to 2.6.22 with the iwlwifi since I noticed it worked without a
kernel patch and reports of the stability were somewhat favorable.  It works
but there is no LED support and I get a strange interface name (wlan0_rename
?)  I run gentoo 2007.0 on this machine.

Hope this helps,
-Ben