[svlug] with heavy heart, and a sigh - take II

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 17 11:32:42 PDT 2007

Quoting Joe Buck (Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM):

> No. One. Cares.

Oddly enough, I don't really care, either -- and had been having a quite
nice weekend until Mark Weisler telephoned me to say that Heather was
running amok with some emotionally overwrought piece about me.  I had no
more idea than Mark did, about what set Heather off.  (I'd been minding
my own business, other than saving this group's bacon -- again:
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/volunteers/2007q3/000401.html )

Unfortunately, experience suggests that, if I just ignore obvious
tall-tales of that sort told online, and don't briefly refute them,
offhandedly malicious Internet types then dredge them up continually as
established fact.

E.g., djbware groupie Jeremy McLeod at one point argued the merits of
his favourite MTA (qmail) with me on Don Marti's linux-elitist list, the
subject of my FAQ on the subject having come up, and I mentioned in
passing Prof. Bernstein's legal blustering that had (essentially)
threatened litigation against me for writing it.  Jeremy then turned
around and, on a different mailing list, started referring to me as
"litigious".  I found that amusing and made no comment -- which proved a
tactical error when Mark L. of the BayLISA Board of Directors disagreed
with me about Board policy[1] and publicly attacked me as "litigious"
(picking up McLeod's meme) and as (per him) having threatened to sue my
own organisation.  I eventually found it desirable to supply
refutations, now archived on http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/ right below
the phrase "Litigious?".

So, no, I regret that I cannot just ignore the latest Sbay-cult
groupthink attempt to retroactively rationalise obvious backroom
chicanery with equally obvious post-hoc untruths -- because then I'd
never hear the end of it.

[0] I say "again" because I'd just gotten through saving the group from a
Heather screw-up that came very close to costing us our Internet domain:
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/volunteers/2007q3/000343.html
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/volunteers/2007q3/000359.html

[1] I had uncovered as incoming BayLISA Treasurer that the state of
California had suspended the group's corporate status, and set about
fixing that.  Mark L. chose that extremely unfortunate moment to
seek a vote of censure against unidentified (but plural) Board members
(_still_ dunno what that was about), which I pointed out was very
dangerous because of BayLISA being a professional guild, his motion
therefore risking the Board committing libel per se, and the group
temporarily having no corporate liability shield.  Whereupon, he
launched his public attacks against me personally -- and all I'd done
was advise him against doing something legally risky.