[svlug] FOSS music notation and editing software

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:21:07 PDT 2007

hi

On 9/11/07, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

(FOSS, FLOSS, etc. _still_ a notably dumb neologism, Christian.

In conversations, I agree.  I don't use it when speaking.  Only when
writing.  If I am speaking to a Windows user, I will often say "Free Open
Source Software" if they are political liberals; if they are conservatives
or business people or Republicans, I will say "open source"; if they are
very comfortable with Spanish, I will say "software libre"; if they are
Portuguese speakers, I will "software livre"; if they are Germans and we are
speaking German, I will say "open source."

Lots and lots of people use FOSS.  It's short, and it is a good compromise
between the Free Software and the Open Source Software portions of the
larger software libre community, don't you think?

Also, FOSS works really well as an adjective, don't you think?  For example,
"the FOSS community", or "FOSS solutions" or "FOSS providers".

Even
> "software libre" works better in English, and that's saying something.)

Most English-speaking Windows newbies will be really, really confused by the
phrase, "software libre," IMHO.