[svlug] Apache security question

Waishan Lau waishanlau at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:06:05 PDT 2007

I'm trying to secure my Apache server (v2.2) on Ubuntu 7.04.  From my
searches, mod-security was highly recommended.  However, I could not find it
in apt.  I found a thread in Ubuntu Forums that said libapache2-mod-security
was removed from Debian for license issues. And when a package is removed
from Debian, Ubuntu usually removed it also.  In the same thread, someone
said libapache2-mod-ifier was a replacement.  I also found a tutorial on
Howto Forge for installing ModSecurity2 on Debian Etch.  I'm guessing the
steps will also work with Feisty.

Before I do anything, I wanted to know what you guys think/recommend?  Go
with mod-security2? Or mod-ifier? Or something else?

Thanks.
waishan