[svlug] url to pdf

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sat Sep 1 08:41:14 PDT 2007

On Saturday 01 September 2007 04:33:52 John Chippu wrote:
> Given a url I want to download the stuff and put it into a pdf. I queried
> on google but couldn't get anything useful. Perhaps I didnt do a good job
> of searching on google, but can I ask for some suggestions?
>
>   something along the lines of: install a pdf writer as a printer and use
> firefox command line to print a url to pdf...or something even simpler if
> any.
>
>   thx
>   -jc
Hi John
I find that OpenOffice Writer works well as a pdf writer.
The following steps work for me.
-in your web browser, like Firefox, "Save Page As..." to save a page. [1]
-launch OpenOffice and then open the document you just saved as html
-in OpenOffice, use File->Export to save(export) the document; in Filters,
choose pdf as the format and click OK.

The resulting document is in pdf format.
[1] Note that when you save the url document it will likely save one file with
a ".html" extension and also a directory containing other files, resources,
and maybe images that are referenced by the ".html" file.
For example, the process I describe saved the m0n0wallhandbook.html file and
the m0n0wallhandbook directory containing many other files and resources
referenced by m0n0wall.html.

Instead of OpenOffice you could use any word processor capable of saving in
the pdf  format. For example, on Macintosh, NeoOffice will do the job.

Hope it works well for you.
--
Mark Weisler
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our