[svlug] Announcement: VP transition - bad attitude

Lisa svlug at flygirl.com
Fri Nov 30 20:01:47 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 07:19:34PM -0800, Paul Reiber wrote:

> This is all well and good... but... shouldn't we be taking
> into account how the individual people work with each other?
> Warren's been working with me as the "Google counterpart" to
> my installfest coordinator role for some time, and he and I
> work really really well together.  If the membership votes,
> for example, Mr. Moen into the VP position (though I seriously
> doubt he'd be interested, but just as an example) I doubt that
> as a team we'd be able to be very effective, since he and I
> seem to lock horns on things more often than not.
>
> [...]
>
> Regarding the "rush" - there is a little bit of one, as I
> mentioned I'm not comfortable being the only officer.  So I've
> appointed Warren as VP.  If the membership wants to consider
> that appointment "interim" that's OK with me... and if they
> want to vote on and ratify it, that's OK with me... and if
> they want an open vote with the opportunity for other
> candidates to run, that's OK with me too, so long as the other
> candidates are people who are similarly qualified and
> similarly willing to do productive work with me.

No offense intended to anyone, but I'd say that anyone can offer
to run and it's up to the membership to decide, from among
those, who they want.  Clearly they SHOULD take compatability
into account along with whatever other factors they choose to
include in their decision.

But, given that it's a *elected* position, and that this is a
membership organization, I don't think that anything matters
more than "the will of the members," whatever that may be.  It's
THEIR organization.

And, yes, I think Paul should be able to speak out on whom he
thinks he can get along with and whom he can't if he so chooses.

Lisa