[svlug] Announcement: VP transition - bad attitude

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 17:13:50 PST 2007

hi

On Nov 30, 2007 4:56 PM, Paul Reiber <reiber at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm positive I mentioned in at least one message today that the
> membership can ratify Warren's appointment, or not, if that's what the
> membership wants to do.  I'd never stop something like that - if
> people feel they need to vote and approve the appointment, I'm all for
> that.

Is there a reason that we need to have a VP in place right now?  As opposed
to scheduling a vote, so that people can talk about it more?  I have meet
Warren recently at one of the SV-LUG Google installfests, and he seemed like
a really nice guy.  I personally would not have any problem with him being
the VP, but I guess that there are some people who would like to see more
structure, which is fine, too.  If we take a little bit more time to decide
this issue, then maybe we would reach a more solid general consensus.
Sometimes the mere passage of time can make people more comfortable with any
outcome, because they feel that everyone has had a chance to have a say.

For example, maybe there are other people who would like to run for VP.  But
maybe not.  So if we hold the process open for a period of time, and no one
responds after some kind of formal announcement and notice that an election
is being held, so speak up now or hold your peace throughout the duration of
Warren's term, then that might make things smoother.

Speaking of the SV-LUG installfests, that installfest where I met Warren was
a really good one.  We helped an 80 year-old guy (Charles) install Linux on
his machine, and it was giving him problems before the installfest, but
since the installfest, we have been going over to his apartment (Daniel
Gimpelevich and I) and we (mostly Daniel) have gotten his machine squared
away, and now it is working just fine.  And, coincidentally, it was Warren
who first got Charles squared away on his machine.

This group does really good things, and that installfest is just one
example.  That is why I subscribe to this list.  If an election will smooth
things out, and there is no real rush to have a VP in place, then maybe it
would be better to just go through an orderly process, including a formal
announcement of an election, a call for candidates to submit their request
to stand for the election, and then a period for them to answer any
questions posed to them by the group, etc.