[svlug] Announcement: VP transition

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 30 15:14:20 PST 2007

Quoting Paul Reiber:

> are you saying I don't have the _authority_?

You got it.

> Realizing SVLUG's election procedures have varied wildly from online
> voting some years through shows of hands others, and that there IS no
> "established method" for voting

Used cow food, sir.  A vacancy in mid-term has come up exactly once,
and J. Paul Reed correctly realised that an invitation for any candidates
and a special election were required, in order to respect the fact that
the VP post is _elected_, and that he was answerable to us rather than
we to him.

He also realised that he didn't want to burden anyone who agreed to be
his new VP with any lingering questions over legitimacy.  This concern
does not deter you, I guess?

Warren, how do _you_ feel about Paul ensuring that your putative
vice-presidency remains under a cloud for its entire term?  (Perhaps you
are starting to see what we mean about Paul shooting volunteers in the
foot.  If not, please do have that quiet chat with Mark Weisler.  Soon.
Before you decide whether to be a candidate.)