[svlug] Announcement: VP transition

Lisa svlug at flygirl.com
Fri Nov 30 15:01:39 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 02:45:09PM -0800, Paul Reiber wrote:

> Rick postulated:
>
> > Paul has no ability to simply impose his pick for one of our
> > elected officers.
>
> Hrm... Rick, two comments:
>
> -> I certainly have the ability; you may have mis-chosen
> words; are you saying I don't have the _authority_?

Well, if we're going to NIT-PICK words, he did say "the ability
to simply IMPOSE his pick" and I'd say that Rick is correct.
The ability to TRY is indisputable.

> Realizing SVLUG's election procedures have varied wildly from
> online voting some years through shows of hands others, and
> that there IS no "established method" for voting... do you
> really feel that appointment is out of the question?  Or, are
> you just chest-puffing to see if it'll get you something?

While the procedures have varied from year to year, I would say
that it's a pretty well established president that no office was
*ever* filled (that I can recall in my 14 years on-and-off of
membership in SVLUG) by appointment with no call for volunteers
and/or AT LEAST confirmation of that appointment by the
membership.

> Rick, If you're asserting that there was a specifc vote or
> decision that no SVLUG office would _ever_ be filled by
> appointment instead of election, produce the evidence.

Well, there was also no specific vote or decision that the
president couldn't set a fire during the meetings... Claiming
that "there's no rule, therefore it's inherently allowed" is
ludicrous.

> Otherwise, wrong.  The past does NOT define the present, nor
> the future.

As far as I know, precedents are often accepted as rule in the
legal system.  So, while it's not *definitive* that the past
defines the present or the future, it's sure a reasonable
*expectation* that, without good reason to change, it would.

> -Dictator Paul

Even if it WAS meant in jest --- and, frankly, I am not sure it
was --- I gotta say that that signature disturbs me more than
anything that has happened thus far.

Lisa