[svlug] Fwd: Ripping DVDs ... and MythTV

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:30:04 PST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 1:33 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> queried a
wide audience rather than emailing me directly with the following:
[...]
> Curious.
> Why was a posting with a 114 kB source-code attachment (that should have
> been pointed to by URL rather than pushed out to an entire mailing list
> of hundreds of people) manually approved on a mailing list with a
> deliberate 40kB limit policy?
>
> It's almost as if someone clueless is trying to do list administration.

Hi, Rick!   Thanks for the comment.  I'm curious myself - do you
really feel that SVLUG's mailman admin should discard any/all posts
exceeding the 40k "limit"?  That there are no cases where posts
exceeding the limit are OK?
This limit was established some years ago - no chance things might
have changed some since the dial-up days?

Regarding this particular posting: a helpful volunteer posted a
somewhat larger-than-usual posting, and as SVLUG's President, I
personally decided I was OK with the post reaching the list... so I'm
wondering what your problem is.

You never bothered to ask me - "Hey, Paul - As SVLUG's President, did
you approve that posting?  Were you OK with it going out to the list?"
- if you had been so polite as to ask me first, before talking about
other volunteer's cluelessness, you'd have learned that I did, indeed,
approve the posting.

I find your "clueless" comment particularly disturbing in light of
your recent departure from the very same volunteer position you're
griping about; please don't assume your successors will do things the
way you did them in the past.
-Paul