[svlug] DVD movie encrypted or not?

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 11:44:40 PST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 12:37 PM, Kristian Erik Hermansen
<kristian.hermansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007 8:51 AM, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How can one easily tell if a DVD movie will require libdvdcss to play or not?
>
> I am not sure of the proper way to detect it using 100% valid test,
> but obviously using dd will show signs of failure after the reading
> some sectors...

I'll try that later.  Although I'm curious to know why dd would fail?
I would have assumed the date is just encrypted, not corrupted.  But
then I admit to knowing know about about DVD technology than how to
spell it.

> > Is there an easier test?
> >
> > [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
>
> You DO NOT need mediabuntu for DVD decryption.  Check the Ubuntu docs...
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs#head-e3dafb305e64ec576176ee706e287bb4d839cb12

I did.  That's how I got the link I posted.  Or is there something I'm missing?

Regards,
- Robert