[svlug] DVD movie encrypted or not?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 11:46:20 PST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 11:32 AM, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll try that later.  Although I'm curious to know why dd would fail?
> I would have assumed the date is just encrypted, not corrupted.  But
> then I admit to knowing know about about DVD technology than how to
> spell it.

There was a big discussion about this recently on the Boston Linux
User group list.  I will forward the thread along which explains
exactly why dd will fail on encrypted DVD discs...

> I did.  That's how I got the link I posted.  Or is there something I'm missing?

No problem dude.  I think what you missed, or I didn't explain
properly, is that mediabuntu is a special repository that you need to
add to your APT configuration.  However, the wiki link I sent shows
that you can just execute a one time shell script already present in
default Ubuntu installation which will allow you to get encrypted DVD
read support installed...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."