[svlug] Electronic junk shops in SV?

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Thu Nov 29 23:19:15 PST 2007

There is an Electronics Flea Market held at De Anza on the second Saturday of each month, March through October.  The merchandise is typically computer, amateur radio, or tools.  No old clothes, but I have seen flame proof garments  used by firemen.

Details at:
http://www.electronicsfleamarket.com/

This event started years ago, when there was an Electronics Museum at Foothill College.  The museum decided to sell some of the donated materials in a parking lot sale.  The next time they had a sale, a few hams (radio amateurs) brought some of their own stuff to sell.  Over the years, this event has taken on a life of its own.  Even after the museum was closed, hundreds of sellers, from all over Northern CA and beyond have kept the Electronics Flea Market going.  Construction has caused the Flea market to find a new location.  Recently it has been at De Anza College.

The web site says: the market opens around 5:00am.  This is not a misprint!

Why so early?  The reason is that some of the sellers live in Sacramento and other places at similar distances.  They pack up their stuff Friday evening, get a few hours sleep, hit the road in the middle of the night (when the traffic is light) and arrive before dawn.  Anxious bargain hunters come early looking for rare items.

Other sellers arrive at whatever time they get there, but most of them arrive by 9.

After 10 AM, you might be able to get a bargain from a  seller who doesn't want to haul it back home.

See you on March 8, 2008.

Paul