[svlug] NASA connections for lecture at a public middle school?

Rick Kwan kwanrj03 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 28 22:14:51 PST 2007

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2007 3:23 PM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if anyone here on the list has connections with NASA's
>> FOSS
>> people? I believe that most of them are down in Pasadena, but I thought
>> that maybe I could ask people on the list to help try to find a
>> speaker from
>> NASA to come to our local public middle school to talk about the role of
>> FOSS at NASA, and particularly about the role of FOSS in guiding the Mars
>> Exploration Rovers (MERs).

> http://opensource.arc.nasa.gov/
> http://www.nas.nasa.gov/Resources/Software/Open-Source/opensource.html
>
>> Just a wild shot. I will try contacting NASA directly, of course, because
>> they certainly have designated speakers on this issue.
>

> Go for it :-) Might be easiest for you to drop by Pasadena campus
> when you find yourself down that way...

I used to work at Ames, but nothing to do with rovers or in-flight
software.  Ames is the "center of excellence" in information technology
for NASA.  The debris impact evaluations during the shuttle missions
were done on the Linux-based Columbia supercomputing cluster.

There is a lot of autonomous systems work there.  (Search for "K-9
rover.")  On the first link given by Christian, there is a "Mission
Simulation Toolkit"; looks like it was intended for rover mission
planning, and claims to have been tested on SuSE and Red Hat.

The Public Affairs Office at Ames often knows of speakers from various
projects.  And if you visit the Exploration Center (white tent) at Ames,
the people there know how were the contacts for the various exhibits
there, including rover stuff.

--Rick Kwan