[svlug] Fwd: Migrate an x86_64 box to i386 without reinstall

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 19:08:59 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 6:54 PM, Kristian Erik Hermansen
<kristian.hermansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am about to attempt it, against all recommendations from everyone
> else.  If you have any idea what the pitfalls are going to be, please
> let me know now!  Any suggestions?  What should I do before and after?
>  How can I mitigate any potential issues?  Thanks :-)

As far as I know, I would not wish to try and attempt an *inplace*
switch to 32-bit from a 64-bit install. I doubt it would work.

What you could probably do is a reinstall to a 32-bit environment. On
the other hand, you probably want this because as I understand it, the
wireless support is in the kernel, right? So a 64-bit kernel won't
support the device?

Most people (am not one of them, but likely this is the approach I
would take) would do 64bit either all of the time or 32 bit
selectively when the need arises (application/userland software not
available in 64 bit, for instance) and they could do it two ways. One
of which is simply install a 32-bit version alongside the 64-bti one.
This has advantages and disadvantages - one disadvantage is that it
nearly duplicates all the parts of the software, and it requires you
to be conscious of maintaining both environments for
updates/backup/whatever.

schroot/chroot/debootstrap (last is debian-specific but may work on
Ubuntu) would give you some advantages in quickly setting up a 32bit
environment to work "alongside" the 64-bit one. But given your
situation that may not be practical because of the nature of the
drivers (kernel issue again).

What about Xen? If you have a 64 bit box, couldn't you run wireless in
an emulated environment (which would be 32 bit)?

How you get the networking setup going on the 64-bit linux running
along side that would be anyone's guess (I guess that means you are
limited to surfing, for instance in the 32-bit xen environment).