[svlug] NASA connections for lecture at a public middle school?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:36:33 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 3:23 PM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone here on the list has connections with NASA's FOSS
> people?  I believe that most of them are down in Pasadena, but I thought
> that maybe I could ask people on the list to help try to find a speaker from
> NASA to come to our local public middle school to talk about the role of
> FOSS at NASA, and particularly about the role of FOSS in guiding the Mars
> Exploration Rovers (MERs).

I almost worked for NASA's Jet Propulsion Labs (JPL) down at Caltech,
but I think they run a lot of Solaris.  No idea if they switched to
Solaris 10 or not.  I know they had lots of security problems in
recent times, and they are trying to clean it up.  I guess a bunch of
hackers delayed some large project because they had infiltrated the
network pretty deep and things needed to be reviewed and verified...
http://opensource.arc.nasa.gov/
http://www.nas.nasa.gov/Resources/Software/Open-Source/opensource.html

> Just a wild shot.  I will try contacting NASA directly, of course, because
> they certainly have designated speakers on this issue.

Go for it :-)  Might be easiest for you to drop by Pasadena campus
when you find yourself down that way...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen