[svlug] result of member poll on an alternative to SVLUG mailing list

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 10:27:31 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 7:30 AM, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> number of responses received: 23
>
> Q:  Do you approve of terminating this mailing list and
>       replacing it with a Google Group?  (y/n)
>
> No: 22
>
> Yes: 1

Darlene -

Thank whichever-god-you-worship they didn't all vote to do the Google
Group thing!!!

Since this poll resulted from your own misunderstanding of what you
overheard Warren and I talking about, it's pretty much a waste of
EVERYONE's time - that's why I squelched it - and it turns out that
less than 10% of the membership bothered with it, so I guess the
tactic worked.

Also - PLEASE - EVERYONE, Not just Darlene...  don't "poll" the SVLUG
list anytime you want, on any question you want, without clearing it
with at least a few other people (including at least one officer)...
OK?  It's just wrong, at so many levels...

[...]
> Since I think Rick and Lisa have left the list I'm cc'ing
> them so they have the results.

I wasn't aware Lisa had "left" - that sure explains her lack of help
w/ various SVLUG projects.  I had attributed her absense to
work-overload.

Rick expressed that he wanted to step away from mailman admin - which
was the only regular volunteer work he was handling - but I was also
unaware he had "left" SVLUG.

> I'm very dismayed that SVLUG members are not stepping up
> and preserving SVLUG.

Darlene, we're surely not destroying SVLUG - it's growing and changing
and becoming what it needs to be for the 21st century - and you're
welcome to be a part of it... so,
please... stop kvetching.

-> I asked around and got you at least one notebook computer
-> I poured my time into delivering a new weekly kernel walk-thru
session for you (and for lots of other people too, of course)
-> I've thanked you personally, live at the meetings, more than any
other SVLUG volunteer
...I could go on but I've gotta go make a living.

-Paul Reiber,
President, SVLUG