[svlug] recent "vote"

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 16:50:27 PST 2007


On Nov 25, 2007 3:19 PM, Tom Pilot <hman_120 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Every one of Darlene's activities in the last  few weeks has been a slap in the face to Paul and all his efforts.
> Her response to the code walkthroughs, the so called "poll" which she obviously held just to tell everyone
> :"oh look what Paul is doing - its not right" Obviously she has some beef with Paul and she chooses to
> harass him at the cost of members in the list. we cannot run a mailing list like that.

Quite simply, I tend to ignore these silly adolescent blame wars you
people like starting.  Trust me, competent mailing list users already
know to ignore this hogwash; you're doing an excellent job in deluding
yourself if you believe otherwise.

> So it seems like it is an inevitable choice between keeping Darlene, the instigator, nuisance who curses in
> public, shows her radical and offensive political opinions in public (see her email address for evidence), and

I'm not specifically defending Darlene, nay, I disagree with her point
of view almost completely.  However, I must disagree with your
persecution of her based upon her beliefs.  People don't make fun of
me for being LordSaurontheGreat, we don't make fun of you for being
hman_120, so lay off.  We can't all be jsixpak at ourdomain.tld, and
creative and clever nicks can give a great deal of insight into
people.

A public display of freedom of speech, no matter how profane, isn't
really all that bad.  However, it is within the auspices of the list
admin to moderate the speech in this environment, simply because it's
not free in this environment.  Raising Caine because of someone's
exercise of their rights isn't the proper thing to do, though it is
your right just as it is theirs.

> has done nothing useful recently OR between keeping Paul, who is trying to make  good things happen,
> generally for the group. The two of them cannot co-exist.

I beg your pardon, but I see coexistance between people with far more
differences every day, on other mailing lists, without the heavy hand
of an admin hovering above.  They can, though it will be a decision to
be made by them, and no one else can make that decision for them.

> Since it boils down to this choice, I would choose for Paul to stay, and therefore I support Paul's decision.

I wasn't there, I won't pretend to have been there.  But this is
downright childish, and quite honestly I had a higher opinion of the
general culture of this LUG before.  It all started going downhill
right about the time that huge argument over the Bay SIG membership or
whatever happened.  All was relatively quiet before then.

What happened in group policy to change this?  How can you fix it?
That's your problem.

Not differences of opinion with rather outspoken people.

-- 
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman
John 3:16!




More information about the svlug mailing list