[svlug] svlug hw

Alvin Oga alvin at mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Sun Nov 25 13:22:54 PST 2007

hi ya karen

> Karen Shaeffer wrote:
>
> I have a server that may be useful to svlug. It is a dual Opteron
> with 16 250 GB SATA drives and 2 8-port 3ware controllers. It has
> 4 GB ram and 2 Opterons.

i have a brand new dual-opt mb, but i doubt i can get it "donated"
but it can at least be used to test the cpu's .. i have other
dual-xeons and dual-amds(old style ) ... toys ...

a new dual opt mb is say $300 - $900 ( it is small amt of $$ )
depending on make/model

if it's donated to svlug, i'm sure it can be used
and i will make sure it IS used and stays with the main svlug.org
servers or it is the new replacement ... aka not in people's homes

personally, if its my time/$$$, i'd throw alway 3ware controllers ..
but is does provide a very good "job security" for admins since
it likes to go bonkers at the wrong time

c ya
alvin