[svlug] svlug hw

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sun Nov 25 12:53:40 PST 2007

Hi,

I have a server that may be useful to svlug. It is a dual Opteron
with 16 250 GB SATA drives and 2 8-port 3ware controllers. It has
4 GB ram and 2 Opterons.

Now, the catch is this server needs at minimum a new motherboard.
Maybe we can take up a collection to acquire a new motherboard. I
believe this server can be repaired for a small amount of money and
serve SVLUGs needs for quite a few years into the future.

If this sounds like useful equipment for svlug, then I am willing
to donate it to svlug to help our group maintain our services.

Thanks,
Karen

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 12:28:41PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya paul
>
> - it's turkey weekend ... relax .. let all the goobbling continue
>   its gonna die out from repeatativeness
>   its gonna die out from actions or inactions
>   its gonna die out from sheer unbelief or boredom
>
> - in the meantime ..
>
>   since i'm one of the bozos insisting that there is a backup
>   machine, i'll start working on rebuilding a new svlug box
>
>    	- there is a p4-2.4 machine at the colo predating the
> 	svlug machine that was intended for the picnic and svlug.org
>
> 	- you/svluggers can assume it is going to be maintained
> 	24x7 ...  though not necessarily 365.25 days :-)
>
> 	i and any other volunteers can and will baby sit the servers
> 	... i'm across the street but will need an access key
>
> 	- 1hr turn around or 4 hr turnaround or 1 day or 2 day
> 	turn around is what one can expect from volunteers
>
> 	- this box will have its own "computer use" policies
> 	dictated by its volunteers whom will be spending their time
> 	to do the baby-sitting
>
> 	- if more hardware is needed ... that is a trivial
> 	problem to solve
>
> 	- fries even have a 300GB maxtor on sale for $50
> 	though i would not consider anything at fries to be
> 	"reliable" but is good enough to get started or to save
> 	$$$ but not necessarily save time, since you will need
> 	to fix it later
>
> - the box i'm gonna rebuild, from last oct 2006 for svlug shall
>   continue to be my toy and is NOT to be moved to people's homes
>   as has been the case in my other donations to other groups
>
>   community boxes should be accessible 24x7 by the community
>
> - svlug policies...
> 	- it did exist in the past... its been written up previously
> 	but searching its archive from the outside is not the
> 	way to do it, and a simple "grep policy svlug-archive"
> 	should be able to bring up several posts on policies
>
> - volunteers..
> 	- they come .. they go ...
>
> - prez/vp ...
> 	- they come .. they go ...
>
> - the svlug community ...
>
> 	- we're here to stay .. and they should have a say in its
> 	direction
>
> 	- it is not necessarily the volunteers or prez job to
> 	make decisions w/o getting the okay from the "majority"
>
> 	- sometimes when there is a stale mate, the do-acracy
> 	and officers and volunteers might have to play dictator
>
> - another important tidbit for the "officers" and svlug.org community
>
> 	- its domain and property is still not in the communities
> 	name and accessible by the svlug community or at least the
> 	svlug volunteeers
>
> 	- nobody really cares too much that some of the incorrect
> 	changes has been done to svlug.com or svlug.net ...
>
> 	but svlug.org is still under the control of sbay's president
> 	whom lost the vote to retain its right to maintain its
> 	registrant status
>
> 	wearing 2 or more hats is fine ... however there is also
> 	a conflict of interest if svlug volunteers cannot do
> [...]
---end quoted text---

--
 Karen Shaeffer
 Neuralscape, Palo Alto, Ca. 94306