[svlug] svlug hw
alvin at mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Sun Nov 25 12:28:41 PST 2007
hi ya paul
- it's turkey weekend ... relax .. let all the goobbling continue
its gonna die out from repeatativeness
its gonna die out from actions or inactions
its gonna die out from sheer unbelief or boredom
- in the meantime ..
since i'm one of the bozos insisting that there is a backup
machine, i'll start working on rebuilding a new svlug box
- there is a p4-2.4 machine at the colo predating the
svlug machine that was intended for the picnic and svlug.org
- you/svluggers can assume it is going to be maintained
24x7 ... though not necessarily 365.25 days :-)
i and any other volunteers can and will baby sit the servers
... i'm across the street but will need an access key
- 1hr turn around or 4 hr turnaround or 1 day or 2 day
turn around is what one can expect from volunteers
- this box will have its own "computer use" policies
dictated by its volunteers whom will be spending their time
to do the baby-sitting
- if more hardware is needed ... that is a trivial
problem to solve
- fries even have a 300GB maxtor on sale for $50
though i would not consider anything at fries to be
"reliable" but is good enough to get started or to save
$$$ but not necessarily save time, since you will need
to fix it later
- the box i'm gonna rebuild, from last oct 2006 for svlug shall
continue to be my toy and is NOT to be moved to people's homes
as has been the case in my other donations to other groups
community boxes should be accessible 24x7 by the community
- svlug policies...
- it did exist in the past... its been written up previously
but searching its archive from the outside is not the
way to do it, and a simple "grep policy svlug-archive"
should be able to bring up several posts on policies
- they come .. they go ...
- prez/vp ...
- they come .. they go ...
- the svlug community ...
- we're here to stay .. and they should have a say in its
- it is not necessarily the volunteers or prez job to
make decisions w/o getting the okay from the "majority"
- sometimes when there is a stale mate, the do-acracy
and officers and volunteers might have to play dictator
- another important tidbit for the "officers" and svlug.org community
- its domain and property is still not in the communities
name and accessible by the svlug community or at least the
- nobody really cares too much that some of the incorrect
changes has been done to svlug.com or svlug.net ...
but svlug.org is still under the control of sbay's president
whom lost the vote to retain its right to maintain its
wearing 2 or more hats is fine ... however there is also
a conflict of interest if svlug volunteers cannot do
anything with it's own domains and property
More information about the svlug