[svlug] recent "vote"

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 23:22:51 PST 2007

Hiya, Aaron!

> Sounds pretty involuntary from over here.

Yup.  It was TOTALLY involuntary - 100% - it wasn't her decision AT
ALL - it was MINE.

This is only the SECOND time in my Presidency that I've had to remove
a volunteer
from active duty.  The first time, the volunteer was gracious enough
to leave without incident.  In Darlene's case, she's evidently
interested in going down "with a fight" instead of without.  So, you
_all_ get to watch the carnage.  I'm not happy about that, but I guess
Darlene feels that's her "right" or something.

If a volunteer's unwilling to learn, unwilling to work _with_ the
current administration, unwilling to change, and so adamant in her
beliefs that she yells at SVLUG members, and so inflexible with her
world view that she jumps at the chance to challenge authority (of a
measly LUG prez?!?) ... what am I supposed to do?  I'm left with no
recourse, really, other than to ask her to leave.  I have DOZENS of
people privately asking me to please make her go away - and as usual,
one or two publicly dissenting.  Woo hoo... what's new.

Here's the thing - I can't even hold private conversations when
there's any chance she's around - she lurks  out of sight but
evidently within ear-shot, and reports "proposals" to all of you that
haven't even been made.  That's simply unacceptable behavior, and
she's refused to refrain from it, even in the face of direct and
irrefutable requests.

While her interference with other volunteers is disturbing, her
interference with _my_ efforts for SVLUG is simply unacceptable.  I'm
putting a boatload of time and effort into SVLUG, but evidently not in
the particular way that she would prefer me to work.  I hope it's OK
with everyone that I don't knuckle under to her do-it-like-I-say
attitude; she's simply not in charge of SVLUG, and has no business
directing it.

Darlene's welcome to attend events as a MEMBER and nothing more;
reinstatement as a volunteer would only happen after a considered
review of any noted improvements in behavior.

> [...removed...] for questioning the methods and motives of The President.

No, she's no longer welcome as a volunteer for bad behavior - not for
questioning me.

-> yelling at installfest attendees (heated discussions, at the
"F*ck-you!" level)
-> inciting political arguments, on-list and off
-> ignoring requests of volunteers/officers regarding usage of the SVLUG list

You've had your chain jerked here, Aaron - that's part of the
"ignoring requests" bullet item above- we've asked her to refrain from
inciting people on this list, but she's been at it full force anyway.
Thus the "mod" bit on her list subscription.

I'm not very happy with what I've had to do today... but I'm not
regretting it either.
-Paul