[svlug] OpenSuSE 10.3 KDE display blanks out after 7 minutes

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Thu Nov 22 15:11:29 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:55:43PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
>opensuse seems to be going downhill lately
>
><theory>
>probably a conspiracy to get people to pay for support

>From reading, e.g., their responses to bug reports, it looks like
the OpenSuSE team is trying pretty hard.  And for the most part
10.3 works well.  For example, the software installation system
now seems to be totally fixed.

>> updates), has me stumped.  Exactly 7 minutes -- 420 sec. --
>> after the last keystroke or mouse movement or click, my display
>> blanks out.
>
>turn off your screensavers
>	yast2->display->screensaver  ( or something like it )

I've looked all over in yast and can't find that.

There's stuff in /etc/sysconfig, but it's easier to look at it
directly than through yast.  Nothing sets that blanking time
interval.

>> In single-user mode (boot option "single"), the display blanks
>> after exactly 10 minutes.
>
>setterm -blank n
>	where n may or may not be needed

It works in a virtual (e.g., Ctrl-Alt-F3) console, but I ran
"setterm -blank 0" and "setterm -powersave off" in both a virtual
console and a KDE konsole, and the 7 minute blanking in X/KDE
still occurs.

But thanks, at least that fixes single-user mode.