[svlug] Member poll on an alternative to this mailing list

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Thu Nov 22 16:07:24 PST 2007

Sam J. Juvonen wrote:
> On 11/22/07, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin at dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> I heard Paul Reiber, current SVLUG president,
>> briefly discussing it with Warren, (I don't
>> remember his last name) a recent attendee/member
>> of SVLUG who works at Google. This discussion
>> occurred on Tue, 21 Nov at the Linux kernel
>> code walk-through session at Google. It was
>> a few comments between Paul and Warren.
>
> In other words, there has been no proposal. You just happened to
> overhear a couple of people talking. Are you sure you know all the
> context for their discussion? I have great respect for Paul's way of
> doing things (just from lurking on this list) and I'm sure he will
> bring a proposal for public discussion in due course, if he has one.
>
> If you want to have an open discussion and vote, why are you asking
> people to "vote" directly to you?
>
> What are you trying to accomplish here?
>
> -sam.

Sam,

Paul Reiber has not conducted SVLUG business
in an open fashion. He does not get consensus
from the membership regarding membership issues.
He does not get consensus from the volunteers
regarding volunteers issues.

Other members and volunteers can speak to this
much more eloquently than me, though I don't
know if they will.

The volunteers list has had conversations
regarding what volunteers had been working
on and planning to do. Paul unilateraly
pulled the rug out from under them and all
of their work.

He unilateraly took equipment donated for a
specific purpose and put it in someone's home
for a different purpose.

He unilateraly changed how the machine at
Linode was being used. Here is what is written
on the SVLUG sponsors page about Linode:

Virtual machine and Internet hosting provider
Linode provides SVLUG with a virtual machine that
serves as our primary DNS server as well as a
backup Web server. Linode has been providing us
this machine since mid-2006. Our particular thanks
to our Linode's CEO, Christopher Aker.

He unilateraly changed SVLUG's agreement with
Linode.

I want to give the SVLUG members a voice as
to how the mailing list, website, etc. are
handled.

I'm asking people to reply directly to me
so I can keep track of how people reply and
what they reply. I will post the results
including their comments. It seemed to make
more sense than to have everyone reply to
the SVLUG list.

You did not participate in the poll. Do you want
to have a say? I request you reply directly
to me for the poll.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Darlene Wallach