[svlug] Member poll on an alternative to this mailing list

Lisa svlug at flygirl.com
Thu Nov 22 12:10:08 PST 2007

Victor Chang wrote:
> If some members wish to read and post to the SVLUG list via a web gui, then
> we can certainly link the SVLUG list to a forum on www.svlug.org.  I have in
> the past setup a phpBB2 forum to cross link with a news group so this should
> be easy to implement given the talent pool in the group.  This way, no 3rd
> parties, such as Yahoo or Google, are involved.  SVLUG can continue manage
> and moderate the list/forum using the same guideline as before.
>
> -Victor Chang

Thanks, Victor... Your message solidified a thought that I have had
gelling in my mind for quite some time and now I can put it into words.
That being:

In my mind, "given the talent in the group," is precisely the point.
Part of the purpose of this group is to learn/teach how to do things
like this not "outsource" the technical tasks to a third party.  We
should have projects/facilities like this designed by memebers, set up
by members, and maintained by members --- as long as we have members
ready, willing and able to do so.  If we don't have any.... then this
groups serves little purpose IMHO.

Lisa