[svlug] OpenSuSE 10.3 KDE display blanks out after 7 minutes

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Thu Nov 22 11:33:41 PST 2007

Happy Thanksgiving folks!

This problem with the new OpenSuSE 10.3 (GM DVD plus all the
updates), has me stumped.  Exactly 7 minutes -- 420 sec. --
after the last keystroke or mouse movement or click, my display
blanks out.  Some minutes after that, the display powers down.
I would like to prevent this, because the display has hardware
problems, so I don't want to keep stressing it.  Also, the
screen going dark while I'm looking at it is annoying.

I'm running OpenSuSE 10.3 with KDE 3.5 on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
motherboard.  I boot with the options acpi=off and apm=off.
The KDE kpowersave demon is not running, but when it was, I set
all four power schemes to leave the display alone.  The BIOS
doesn't permit turning off its power management completely,
but I set it to do screen blanking instead of DPMS (turning off
the sync pulses to cause the CRT to power down) but the CRT does
power down.  Nothing is printed in /var/log/messages or dmesg
when the display blanks.  I've looked in /proc and can't find
anything that seems relevant.

In single-user mode (boot option "single"), the display blanks
after exactly 10 minutes.  So I figure it must be X doing the
7 minute shutoff, but I've searched through /etc/X11 and can't
find anything relevant.  xorg.conf had an Option of DPMS for
the monitor, which I removed, but the display still gets
powered down.  There has to be a parameter value of 7 or 420
somewhere!  Does anyone know where to look?

  Thanks,

  Mark