[svlug] Member poll on an alternative to this mailing list

Bill Bell billnspm at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 12:24:12 PST 2007

> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:22:11 -0800
> From: freepalestin at dslextreme.com
> To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
>
> To all SVLUG members:
>
> There has been a proposal to terminate this mailing list
> (svlug at lists.svlug.org), and replace it with a Google Group
> -- at which point, SVLUG would cease to host or administer
> its own online discussion forum.

 Where and when did this proposal take place?

> I'm collecting a sense of
> the membership, through midnight Tuesday, November 27, and
> will report back here with a yes/no tally.
>
> Some things to perhaps keep in mind:
>    - SVLUG ceasing to host its own mailing list

 Bad idea.

>    - advertising

 Sucks.

>    - privacy loss

 Really bad idea.

>    - dependency on a business to do our core competency for us

 Another bad idea.

>    - SVLUG no longer being able to set spam policy or choose its own
>      mail-handling software.

 I'm beginning to see a pattern here of really bad ideas.

> Q:  Do you approve of terminating this mailing list and
>      replacing it with a Google Group?  (y/n)

 No.  Google Groups reputation for spam and doing nothing about it
 has them filtered by many, including myself, while using Usenet.

 There are people that have an extremely low opinion of Google.
I'm one of them.

> Send your vote to _me directly_ (Darlene Wallach
> <freepalestin at dslextreme.com>.
> Do NOT send it to this mailing list.

 No. Questions and proposals about the mailing list should be made
on and replied to on the mailing list.

 Private replies to my e-mail address from members of this mailing list
are filtered to /dev/null.

> Thank you for your attention, consideration and
> participation,
>
> Darlene Wallach

        Bill