[svlug] prior art in the Red Hat patent lawsuit?

Paul Cubbage oldestgeek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 11:49:08 PST 2007

 XMX  - An X Protocol Multiplexor
http://www.openchannelfoundation.org/project/view_docs.php?group_id=215

from Cosmic sounds like something similar that also infringes but the
IP trolls didn't do anything about it.  Furthermore, the whole thing
tracks back to a Xerox patent.  If you remember, Xerox was unable to
win against Apple  over the GUI because of a failure to enforce 1.e
they knew about it and/or waited to long to do anything (there's some
legal term for it).

I don't know how far back John Baziks' idea goes or whether he can
point to earlier IP (or if he even wants to get involved in this legal
IP nightmare) but he is very community minded
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~jsb/

In the mid 80s there were companies doing hardware "xwindows
terminals".  I think Adele Goldberg founded on of them.  Those
companies my also have "violated" the Xerox patents.

On Nov 11, 2007 10:46 AM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> does anyone here know who is coordinating the community effort to find prior
> art in the Red Hat patent lawsuit?  All I could find is this (very fine)
> article on the groklaw site.

Why don't you start one at one of the free public wiki sites e.g. PBWiki et al?

> I imagined that there would be natural
> activity around that topic on that site.
>
>  http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071011205044141

Paul Cubbage